Written by Cheyenne Davey
Beartooth, what the actual heck are you doing?! What is happening? Two new songs and a leaked song? What?! Just days before their scheduled guest appearances on Vans Warped Tour, one of the songs, “Infection”, was “leaked” on Soundcloud. Coincidence? I think not. Caleb Shomo (vocals) even made a joke about it being leaked at the Tinley Park date of Warped. It was clearly intentional. There was supposedly another single leaked, “Believe”, but I cannot seem to find it, which makes me think that one wasn’t supposed to be out yet and has since been taken off any platforms it was on. Then, shortly after their last day of Warped, two more songs dropped, “Disease” and “Bad Listener”, with the announcement of their new album Disease coming out September 28. Man, what a time to be alive. Not one, not two, but THREE new songs AND a music video from such an incredible band. The band consist of Caleb Shomo (vocals), Kamron Bradbury (guitar and backing vocals), Oshie Bichar (bass and backing vocals), Connor Denis (drums), and Zach Huston (guitar and backing vocals). While Caleb is the vocalist during shows, he plays and produces everything himself in the studio. Beartooth released their debut album Disgusting in 2014 with Red Bulls Records, who they’re still with today. In 2016, Aggressive was released and now we have Disease coming in September. Disgusting was an emotional and angry album. It was hardcore and a banger, all around just a great album. Beartooth kept that energy and emotion in Aggressive and from the sounds of it so far, Disease will be no different. I always loved Beartooth because of their heavy, hard-hitting lyrics accompanied by killer guitars and rough vocals. It was always something I could sing along to, understand what was actually being said, and mosh and headbang to all at the same time. Oh boy, these new songs are no different. They carry the classic Beartooth sound and lyrical meaning. They’re real bangers and I’m beyond hyped for the full album to be released.
So far, I have to say “Disease” is my favorite of the singles released. It’s more of a heavier pop-punk vibe. Not quite pop-punk, but not quite the hardcore vibe either. I love it though, it’s something different and I’m a huge fan of pop-punk, so it’s no surprise that I would favor this song. The lyrics are catchy and meaningful. Don’t take my word for it, but the lyrics seem to be talking about letting his “disease” (mental illness maybe?) take over him and trying to not let this disease control him. It’s interesting, as I’m sure many people who struggle with illnesses feel this. I feel this with my mental health issues. It’s a struggle to not let let this “disease” control you. So, not only is this song a pop-punkish banger, it’s also something I’m sure many of us can relate to. “Bad Listener” takes on the heavier, classic Beartooth sound. It’s more of a “get in the pit and mosh, and maybe punch someone in the face” vibe. This is a true Beartooth song, reminiscent of previous songs. Honestly, it is not as heavy as songs from Disgusting, but it’s heavier than “Disease”. They seem to be shifting their sound slightly, to more of a punk sound. “Bad Listener” is still heavier than most things I listen to, and heavier than “Disease”. When Caleb said this album will be the heaviest, most Beartooth album thus far, I think he meant more of the lyrics. The lyrics are pretty deep and aggressive. ‘Bad Listener” has a line that goes “I’ll be bangin my head ‘til my brain rots”. I mean, that’s pretty hardcore if you ask me, and sounds pretty painful (though, that’s pretty much what I did at Warped). Again, not bad things. I am completely digging the new songs. “Infection” is also another harder, headbanging song. This song isn’t on Spotify yet, it’s just on Reddit. Why? I don’t know, because they know the song is “leaked”, so why not just put it on Spotify? Oh well, there will be a link below to the song in case you want to give it a listen. It’s a banger, classic song yet again. Beartooth is really sticking to their roots so far. “Disease” is probably the most different sounding song, which is likely why it’s my favorite. I don’t mind the songs staying true to their sound, it’s reassuring having something familiar to listen to, yet also new.
Overall, I love the new songs. They’re something new, yet familiar at the same time. I’m absolutely dying waiting for the album. I cannot wait for it to drop, I have an amazing feeling about it. If these songs are any indication of what the rest of the album holds, then I’m so ready to headbang and mosh around my room. I’m so incredibly proud of how far Beartooth has come. While the lyrics are heavy and dark, they don’t seem to be as dark and depressing as Disgusting. Though, still meaningful and heavy, they seem to hold a different look on life. I’m honestly just proud, Caleb and Beartooth just seems happier and it fills my heart with joy. If you want to hear the songs, there are links down below. Pre-order the album, as it’s surely going to be fantastic, and catch them on tour this fall. I will hopefully be at a date, maybe going in my first mosh or crowd surfing for the first time. We’ll see. Until then, be on the look-out for the review of the full album, as I will definitely be doing one.
Comments
Post a Comment