Skip to main content

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness/Milky Chance: Lolla Aftershow Reviews



I attended two Lollapalooza aftershows this weekend- Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness and Milky Chance. I decided to combined these into one blog post because they were two days in a row. This was a very eventful weekend for me so this is going to be a fun-filled blog post! Enjoy.

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness and Missio

Friday, August 4th was Andrew's aftershow. I went with my best friend Allie and my boyfriend Cody. We have all seen Andrew multiple times together and are big fans of his music, so we were excited to see his aftershow. The show was at Bottom Lounge in Chicago, which Cody and I had never been to before. We got in line about 3 hours early, and while we were waiting Andrew came out and waved to everyone, which already got us really excited. About 10 minutes later, he came back out and met everyone in line! While our encounter with him was brief, it was still amazing! He introduced himself and thanked us for coming out for the show. That was the first time I had met someone famous, so it was awesome! I wish I had been more prepared to meet him so I could have had more to say, but oh well.
Me (left) and Allie (right) with Andrew

Once we got inside, I fell in love with the venue!! Bottom Lounge is so small and intimate, which is different than other venues I usually go to. The band Missio opened, and they were AMAZING! I didn't know any of their music, but I still had such a good time. They had so much energy that they brought onto that small stage, and they were so talented and seemed like really nice guys. They have a unique electronic sound, which isn't something I usually like, but I really got into it. You should give them a listen! I have a feeling they're gonna get big. Andrew's set was one of the best I've ever seen, because it felt so personal. Most of the songs they played were from his old bands, Something Corporate and Jack's Mannequin. That was really cool to hear even though I didn't know a lot of those songs. The whole set was very laid back and intimate, it felt like we were all just there having a conversation with him. Those kind of shows are ones you should try to go to if you can, they don't happen very often and it is such a different experience from your average concert. Andrew was pretty drunk, and his voice was shot, but that didn't take away from his performance. I also liked that he wasn't totally on top of his game, because it didn't feel like he needed to be. It felt like everyone in the room was equal, and he was just up there helping us have a great time. I'm so happy I attended this show! It was definitely worth it.
Andrew crowd surfing on a duck
 inflatable


David Butler (left) and Matthew Brue (right) of Missio
 
Drum kit from Andrew's set

Milky Chance and Arizona 

Milky Chance's aftershow was the following day, August 5th, at The House of Blues in Chicago. This time it was just Cody and I going. He loves Milky Chance, I am not as familiar with their music, but I'm always down to go to a show. Although I will say, being tired from the day before made me a little less excited, just because I was exhausted. We spent the day in the city, and then got to the venue about 3 hours early again. We couldn't figure out where to line up, so we sat on a bench outside. A group of guys walked past us and Cody kept looking at me. He goes, "I'm pretty sure that was Milky Chance." I looked up a picture of them and we were pretty confident it was. We followed where they went to smoke, and after being totally creepy and standing by them for about a minute, Cody asked if one of the guys was Clemens (the lead singer), and he was! He didn't seem very interested in talking to us, so I took Cody's picture with him and that was pretty much the end of it. I didn't feel the need to get a picture because 1. He didn't seem like he wanted to be bothered and 2. I don't know them well anyway. It was still cool to meet someone famous again! 

Cody (left) with Clemens (right)

As far as the show goes, I will say this: Don't buy balcony seats at House of Blues if you actually want to SEE the band. There are a lot of things about the balcony that make it nearly impossible to see. There is private seating right at the edge of the balcony, with these high chairs, and as soon as people sit in them you can't see. Behind that there is standing room, where unless you have a perfect window between someone, you can't see. And behind that there is a bar with some stools and tables, where even there you can't see due to all the people below you. Also, the fact that there's a bar changes it from a concert, to a bar with music in the background. Very few people are actually paying attention to the band, most people are trying to yell and have conversations over the music. And private seating gets served drinks and food all night, so if you're standing, every two seconds you have to move so a waitress can give someone drinks, which was very annoying. I get this is how some people enjoy a concert, but if you're like me and you go to a concert to be a part of it and to actually see and enjoy it, don't get balcony tickets.
The band Arizona opened for Milky Chance. I had never heard of them, but I really enjoyed their sound! They had great vocals. I wish I had more to say about them but again, couldn't see or hear very well. Milky Chance had a really incredible sound as well. I was very impressed. I would really like to see both of these bands again when I can actually, you know, see. 

Overall, I had a great time at both Lolla aftershows, and I would definitely recommend going to some, especially if you can't go to Lolla! They are a lot of fun and a great way to spend a weekend. 

SIDENOTE:
To finish off my extremely fun and lucky weekend, last night I won meet and greet tickets from Missio!! (What are the odds?? I'm not a lucky person??). I was their 10kth follower on Instagram, so that's what I won! I will be seeing them October 26th at The Shelter in Detroit, Michigan (Again, with Cody). So I will definitely have a blog post about that!!





Comments

Greatest Hits

How to be front row at a concert

One question I get asked quite often is "How are you always front row at the concerts you go to??". I'm never really sure how to give a short answer to that question, so I decided to make a blog post about it! I would say it's fairly easy to be front row at a show (depending on who the artist is, I have been in line for shows where people have been camping out for DAYS prior). As long as you're willing to wait for a long time before the show, you can usually be front row. Key word is usually. I'm not guaranteeing you will be at the barricade every time, but out of the many shows I have been to, I have been front row more times than I haven't. In my opinion, I have the most fun when I'm front row, or when I'm in the pit in general. So here are my tips on how to be front row at a concert:
1. Buy pit/general admission tickets You absolutely have to buy pit or general admission tickets to a show if you want to be front row. Unless the venue has all se…

Nothing But Thieves Concert Review + Meeting Missio!

If you read my Lolla Aftershow review, you would know I won guest list passes from the band Missio by being their 10kth follower on Instagram. I went to their Chicago show at Lincoln Hall on Wednesday, October 25th, 2017, on their tour with Nothing But Thieves and Airways. I had never been on the guest list for a show before, so I didn't really know what to do, but Missio was very helpful in answering my messages and letting me know how to get in. I was also very excited to see Nothing But Thieves since I recently got into them after listening to their latest album "Broken Machine". I brought my boyfriend Cody as my plus one, and we both had a great time.

Airways
I had never even heard of Airways before coming to this concert, but I can honestly say I enjoyed their set a lot. The band consists of Jake (vocals/guitar), Alex (guitar), Jamie (bass), and Brian (drums). The band Peterborough, United Kingdom. As soon as Jake started singing, his voice reminded me of a young Al…

Bleachers Concert Reviews: A Weekend in Chicago

I was lucky enough to see Bleachers on their Gone Now tour part 2 in Chicago both on November 11th and 12th, 2017. Opening for them was Amy Shark and Bishop Briggs, who I had never heard of before. The first night, Bleachers played at The Riviera Theatre, and the second night at The Vic Theatre. I had seen Bleachers live once at PIQNIQ this past summer, and I also reviewed the album Gone Now as soon as it came out, so I was very excited about these shows. I will say that Bleachers did not disappoint, these were two of the most amazing and fun shows I have ever been to. It was definitely worth waiting in the freezing cold/rain for hours to be front row both nights.

Amy Shark
I had never heard anything about Amy Shark's music before coming to night 1 of Bleachers, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed her and her set. Shark is an Australian indie pop singer/songwriter, who released her EP "Night Thinker" this year. Shark has no trouble carrying her set and h…