Skip to main content

How to buy concert tickets without breaking the bank


A question I get asked a lot is "How can you afford to buy all these concert tickets?". The truth is, I can't (technically) afford to buy them. I'm very poor. However, I do budget my money so I can buy them while also being able to buy things that I actually need in life, so here's how I do it. 

1. Budget your money accordingly 
Budgeting money is something that a lot of people struggle with (I could make an entire blog post about how to budget money). A lot of people I talk to say they don't buy concert tickets because they can't afford them, which can be a fair statement. They are expensive. But if you budget out a little bit of money every time you get paid, you should be able to afford them. Most concerts I go to have tickets that range from $35-$85. So if you know a band you like is going on tour soon, there is a specific ticket you want, or you just want to put some away for future concerts, do that every paycheck. This will help prevent you from randomly dropping $80 on a ticket you weren't prepared to buy. 

2. Don't buy terrible seats at outrageous prices
Depending on how big an artist is, their tickets can be ridiculously expensive. I've looked at tickets for Ed Sheeran, for example, and seats all the way in the back were over $100 each. Honestly, even though Ed Sheeran is amazing, that's not a good deal. The only time I would recommend spending that much on a ticket is if they were awesome seats. So make sure you're getting a good deal on what you're paying for. If it's gonna cost that much, you wanna make sure you can actually see and have a good time!

3. Don't buy resale tickets from sketchy websites
I see people make this mistake all too often. Usually buying resale from third-party websites results in 1. Paying way too much for a ticket or 2. Getting a fake ticket, or not getting one at all. If you must buy resale, do it from a trustworthy website (I have bought resale from Ticketmaster and StubHub, although StubHub can still be kinda sketchy). I would also suggest buying resale from people who post on the concert's event page on Facebook. Obviously use your common sense and make sure they are real and trustworthy, but I have done this before and never had a problem. Just make sure you look into who you're buying from. Read reviews, ratings, etc. 

4. When buying resale, don't pay for more than face value + fees for the ticket
This is a personal preference, some people may disagree with this one. When buying resale tickets, I never pay more than whatever it cost the person selling it. I don't see any reason why I should pay that person more when they didn't do anything more than I am purchasing the ticket. This will help you not get overcharged for a ticket as well. There are some cool people out there that will sell for what they paid for it, although some people only sell tickets to make a profit. 

5. Sign up to be a part of the artist's presale
Pretty much every band has presale tickets for cheaper than general release. Usually you get this by giving them your email on their website, signing up for an account, etc. I would recommend this because you get the best luck at good seats, and at a cheaper price. I know Ticketmaster also has offers like this for their website. It's also very easy and usually free to do this, so make sure you sign up for these deals!

Let me know if there's anything else regarding concerts that you guys would like tips or blog posts about!

Comments

Greatest Hits

How to be front row at a concert

One question I get asked quite often is "How are you always front row at the concerts you go to??". I'm never really sure how to give a short answer to that question, so I decided to make a blog post about it! I would say it's fairly easy to be front row at a show (depending on who the artist is, I have been in line for shows where people have been camping out for DAYS prior). As long as you're willing to wait for a long time before the show, you can usually be front row. Key word is usually. I'm not guaranteeing you will be at the barricade every time, but out of the many shows I have been to, I have been front row more times than I haven't. In my opinion, I have the most fun when I'm front row, or when I'm in the pit in general. So here are my tips on how to be front row at a concert:
1. Buy pit/general admission tickets You absolutely have to buy pit or general admission tickets to a show if you want to be front row. Unless the venue has all se…

Nothing But Thieves Concert Review + Meeting Missio!

If you read my Lolla Aftershow review, you would know I won guest list passes from the band Missio by being their 10kth follower on Instagram. I went to their Chicago show at Lincoln Hall on Wednesday, October 25th, 2017, on their tour with Nothing But Thieves and Airways. I had never been on the guest list for a show before, so I didn't really know what to do, but Missio was very helpful in answering my messages and letting me know how to get in. I was also very excited to see Nothing But Thieves since I recently got into them after listening to their latest album "Broken Machine". I brought my boyfriend Cody as my plus one, and we both had a great time.

Airways
I had never even heard of Airways before coming to this concert, but I can honestly say I enjoyed their set a lot. The band consists of Jake (vocals/guitar), Alex (guitar), Jamie (bass), and Brian (drums). The band Peterborough, United Kingdom. As soon as Jake started singing, his voice reminded me of a young Al…

Bleachers Concert Reviews: A Weekend in Chicago

I was lucky enough to see Bleachers on their Gone Now tour part 2 in Chicago both on November 11th and 12th, 2017. Opening for them was Amy Shark and Bishop Briggs, who I had never heard of before. The first night, Bleachers played at The Riviera Theatre, and the second night at The Vic Theatre. I had seen Bleachers live once at PIQNIQ this past summer, and I also reviewed the album Gone Now as soon as it came out, so I was very excited about these shows. I will say that Bleachers did not disappoint, these were two of the most amazing and fun shows I have ever been to. It was definitely worth waiting in the freezing cold/rain for hours to be front row both nights.

Amy Shark
I had never heard anything about Amy Shark's music before coming to night 1 of Bleachers, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed her and her set. Shark is an Australian indie pop singer/songwriter, who released her EP "Night Thinker" this year. Shark has no trouble carrying her set and h…