Skip to main content

Why Bleachers' new album 'Gone Now' should be the soundtrack to your summer.

Image result for gone now bleachers

If there was an indie movie about my life, I would want the soundtrack to be 'Gone Now'. The music is great background music for life, and I don't mean in a way where people easily tune it out. This album gets me happy and energetic when I listen to it. Every time. And I have listened to it multiple times already. I was sunbathing earlier listening to this album, and it gave my day that perfect summer feeling. I only recently got into Bleachers after seeing them at PIQNIQ 2017, but I am already hooked.

'Gone Now' has a very unique sound. It flows well together, and has a happy, groovy feel. One thing that stuck out to me the most in this album is the occasional voice samples in the songs. At first I found it off-putting, just because it was different and kind of took me out of the song. After listening to the whole album and seeing how they tied together by the end, I know the album wouldn't be the same without it. Now I really like the mixed media feeling the voice samples give the album. 

One part of this album I still don't really like is that some of the lyrics and voice samples appear in multiple songs. I mostly don't like this because it can get repetitive and boring after a while. It also makes the album feel shorter. Sometimes it feels like I have listened to the same song twice. I understand that lyrics are repeated to make it one collective story and message, which I respect, I just don't personally love that choice. I will say that I like how the themes of going home, remembering where you came from, and good memories plays throughout the album. It gives you a feeling of comfort and being young, having great times with your friends and family. 

Overall, there are very powerful elements of voice and energy throughout this album. I absolutely love it and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of indie, indie pop, or just an album that will put you in a good mood. It really is a great soundtrack to listen to on your own, or with others. Play this at your barbecues and pool parties. Blast it while you're driving with the windows down. Seriously, it's an incredible album, and will give you the summer vibes you're looking for this year. 

If you want to get a taste of this album, but don't want to sit and listen to it all at once yet, here are a few songs I would suggest:

1. Goodmorning
2. Hate That You Know Me
3. I Miss Those Days



Comments

Greatest Hits

How to be front row at a concert

One question I get asked quite often is "How are you always front row at the concerts you go to??". I'm never really sure how to give a short answer to that question, so I decided to make a blog post about it! I would say it's fairly easy to be front row at a show (depending on who the artist is, I have been in line for shows where people have been camping out for DAYS prior). As long as you're willing to wait for a long time before the show, you can usually be front row. Key word is usually. I'm not guaranteeing you will be at the barricade every time, but out of the many shows I have been to, I have been front row more times than I haven't. In my opinion, I have the most fun when I'm front row, or when I'm in the pit in general. So here are my tips on how to be front row at a concert:
1. Buy pit/general admission tickets You absolutely have to buy pit or general admission tickets to a show if you want to be front row. Unless the venue has all se…

Nothing But Thieves Concert Review + Meeting Missio!

If you read my Lolla Aftershow review, you would know I won guest list passes from the band Missio by being their 10kth follower on Instagram. I went to their Chicago show at Lincoln Hall on Wednesday, October 25th, 2017, on their tour with Nothing But Thieves and Airways. I had never been on the guest list for a show before, so I didn't really know what to do, but Missio was very helpful in answering my messages and letting me know how to get in. I was also very excited to see Nothing But Thieves since I recently got into them after listening to their latest album "Broken Machine". I brought my boyfriend Cody as my plus one, and we both had a great time.

Airways
I had never even heard of Airways before coming to this concert, but I can honestly say I enjoyed their set a lot. The band consists of Jake (vocals/guitar), Alex (guitar), Jamie (bass), and Brian (drums). The band Peterborough, United Kingdom. As soon as Jake started singing, his voice reminded me of a young Al…

Bleachers Concert Reviews: A Weekend in Chicago

I was lucky enough to see Bleachers on their Gone Now tour part 2 in Chicago both on November 11th and 12th, 2017. Opening for them was Amy Shark and Bishop Briggs, who I had never heard of before. The first night, Bleachers played at The Riviera Theatre, and the second night at The Vic Theatre. I had seen Bleachers live once at PIQNIQ this past summer, and I also reviewed the album Gone Now as soon as it came out, so I was very excited about these shows. I will say that Bleachers did not disappoint, these were two of the most amazing and fun shows I have ever been to. It was definitely worth waiting in the freezing cold/rain for hours to be front row both nights.

Amy Shark
I had never heard anything about Amy Shark's music before coming to night 1 of Bleachers, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed her and her set. Shark is an Australian indie pop singer/songwriter, who released her EP "Night Thinker" this year. Shark has no trouble carrying her set and h…