Skip to main content

A thank you letter to The 1975

Image result for the 1975

The 1975 first became popular when I was a freshman in high school. With hits like "Chocolate" and "Sex", I got really into their self-titled album. After that, though, I stopped listening to them as often. Once their next album "I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it" came out during my freshman year of college, I had only heard "The Sound" and "Somebody Else". At the time, they honestly sounded like radio garbage to me. I wasn't very impressed. Then my best friend asked if I wanted to go to one of their shows with her. I figured what the heck, why not. I like a few of their songs. I was honestly expecting a mediocre show, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a band so incredible and so talented, that I will enjoy their music forever. I know I talk about them a lot (sorry not sorry), but these guys are so amazing and talented that they deserve recognition. Here are just a few of the things I would like to thank them for. 

Thank you for putting on one hell of a show.
The 1975 is one of the best shows I have ever been to. Matty has so much energy on stage, and the entire vibe from their shows is just to have fun and dance. The energy these guys bring to every show is just amazing. They can hype you up with their upbeat songs, and they can calm you down with their slow songs. The range of emotions I feel at a 1975 show is indescribable. You don't even need to know all of their songs or be a huge fan to have an amazing time. I knew basically none of their songs when I saw them the first time, and it was still so much fun. If you're looking to go to a concert and have a good time, go see The 1975. Seriously. Also- can we talk about the lighting from the ILIWYS tour??? Amazing. Just amazing. 

Thank you for making me appreciate instrumental tracks.
Before I really got into The 1975, I really didn't like instrumental tracks on albums. I thought they were boring, and I always skipped them when they came on. After taking the time to listen to instrumental tracks by The 1975, I now appreciate them. I also didn't used to like hearing them live, and now I love it. It has also made me enjoy similar tracks by other artists, and listen in a way I never had before. Thank you for that.

Thank you for being a symbol of compassion and equality. 
At every show when they are about to play "Loving Someone", Matty makes a short speech about being respectful and compassionate towards everyone, regardless of race, sexual orientation, etc. That is something that most people in our generation are very passionate about, and I'm glad that you guys feel the same way and can make such a lasting impression on people by honestly speaking your mind about current issues. The rainbow lights will always be unforgettable, and my favorite part of your shows. Thank you. 

Thank you for being a support system for so many people.
I have talked to a lot of people who struggle with depression or anxiety who find happiness through your music. Without even really knowing it, your music helps so many people every day. Your music gives people a release, your concerts give people something to look forward to. When we see you live, we get to forget about all of our problems for a little while. Your music inspires people to keep going. Thank you for being so caring towards your fans. 

Thank you for bringing us all together. 
While I will admit that a lot of The 1975 fan base is young and annoying right now, you still have a way of bringing all these people together for one cohesive purpose: enjoying your music. We all instantly have something to talk about, because we all love you and your music. Despite how annoying the fans can be, everyone at shows always looks out for each other and makes sure everyone has a good time. I have talked to some really cool people at your shows, and met a lot of people online. Thank you for giving us a reason to come together and enjoy something as one group. 




Comments

Greatest Hits

How to be front row at a concert

One question I get asked quite often is "How are you always front row at the concerts you go to??". I'm never really sure how to give a short answer to that question, so I decided to make a blog post about it! I would say it's fairly easy to be front row at a show (depending on who the artist is, I have been in line for shows where people have been camping out for DAYS prior). As long as you're willing to wait for a long time before the show, you can usually be front row. Key word is usually. I'm not guaranteeing you will be at the barricade every time, but out of the many shows I have been to, I have been front row more times than I haven't. In my opinion, I have the most fun when I'm front row, or when I'm in the pit in general. So here are my tips on how to be front row at a concert:
1. Buy pit/general admission tickets You absolutely have to buy pit or general admission tickets to a show if you want to be front row. Unless the venue has all se…

How to buy concert tickets without breaking the bank

A question I get asked a lot is "How can you afford to buy all these concert tickets?". The truth is, I can't (technically) afford to buy them. I'm very poor. However, I do budget my money so I can buy them while also being able to buy things that I actually need in life, so here's how I do it. 
1. Budget your money accordingly  Budgeting money is something that a lot of people struggle with (I could make an entire blog post about how to budget money). A lot of people I talk to say they don't buy concert tickets because they can't afford them, which can be a fair statement. They are expensive. But if you budget out a little bit of money every time you get paid, you should be able to afford them. Most concerts I go to have tickets that range from $35-$85. So if you know a band you like is going on tour soon, there is a specific ticket you want, or you just want to put some away for future concerts, do that every paycheck. This will help prevent you from ra…

Why Bleachers' new album 'Gone Now' should be the soundtrack to your summer.

If there was an indie movie about my life, I would want the soundtrack to be 'Gone Now'. The music is great background music for life, and I don't mean in a way where people easily tune it out. This album gets me happy and energetic when I listen to it. Every time. And I have listened to it multiple times already. I was sunbathing earlier listening to this album, and it gave my day that perfect summer feeling. I only recently got into Bleachers after seeing them at PIQNIQ 2017, but I am already hooked.
'Gone Now' has a very unique sound. It flows well together, and has a happy, groovy feel. One thing that stuck out to me the most in this album is the occasional voice samples in the songs. At first I found it off-putting, just because it was different and kind of took me out of the song. After listening to the whole album and seeing how they tied together by the end, I know the album wouldn't be the same without it. Now I really like the mixed media feeling the…